The Far West Academy of Sport Netball Program is supported and endorsed by Netball NSW and is designed to support the developmental needs of the young talented netballers from the Far West region by implementing the National Develop a Diamond Academy program. The FWAS Netball program and the National Develop a Diamond Academy program is designed to support the developmental needs of each athlete by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs which emphasise providing greater skills development, strength and conditioning support and physical preparation so they can progress further in the sport. As well as intensive training days and camps, squad members also receive an athlete education program which includes sports nutrition, sports physiology, sports psychology, media training and drugs awareness.
In 2017-18 the Netball Program will feature three squads; a West Squad* Central Squad and an East Squad* for talented Netballers from the Far West Region between the ages of 14-16 years.
FWAS Netball Scholarship holders are expected to attend ALL scheduled FWAS Netball events.
To be eligible for a FWAS Netball Scholarship, athletes must satisfy the following criteria:
- Reside within the Far West region of NSW**
- Be turning 14 – 16 years of age in 2016 (i.e. born from 2004 to 2006)
- Be a registered member with Netball NSW through an Association within the Far West Region.
To gain selection in the FWAS Netball Program athletes must first satisfy the eligibility criteria and then the following will be taken into consideration during the selection process. The athlete must:
- Demonstrate through past performance and/or potential capacity, the potential to improve performance to a high level.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and apply coaching ideas
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for the program as an individual and as a team member
- Demonstrate tactical ability or knowledge of Netball as demonstrated through training and match play
- Possess the relevant physical attributes associated with optimal Netball performance such as height, power, agility, speed and endurance.
The FWAS along with its sponsors and supporters cover the majority of the costs associated with running the sports programs. Scholarship athletes are however required to contribute to some components of the program through an athlete levy.
Athletes are also required to purchase the FWAS uniform which is partly subsidised by the FWAS, but is still a cost to the athlete.
2017/2018 Program Staff to be ConfirmeD
*The West Squad will be selected from athletes from Broken Hill, Ivanhoe, Menindee, Wilcannia and the Un-incorporated area while the Central & East Squad will be selected from athletes from the Central & Eastern parts of the Far West Region.
**Far West Region is defined as bound by the towns of Broken Hill in the West, Trangie in the East and Lake Cargelligo in the South to Lightning in the North and covers the following Local Government Areas; Bogan, Bourke, Brewarrina, Broken Hill, Central Darling, Cobar, Coonamble, Lachlan (Tottenham and Lake Cargelligo), Walgett, Warren, Warrumbungle (Coonabarabran and Dunedoo) and the Un-incorporated Area